Training for Your First 5k
Challenging yourself to run a 5k is exciting. Even if you’ve never run a step before in your life, 3.1 miles is well within your reach. With some prior planning, proper training and inspiration, you will be sure to finish with pride.
Follow these tips to get started training for your first 5K:
- Get Checked Out – If you haven’t run before, make sure that your body is healthy enough to do so. Ask your doctor to perform a sports physical.
- Proper Footwear – Chances are if you’re brand new to running, you will need to get new footwear. Don’t be scared by the price of a good pair of running shoes. You will definitely get what you pay for and will be less prone to injury. Shop your local running store first. They have experts trained in gait evaluation and proper shoe fitting that will help you find just the right style and support that you need. Wear these shoes only when you’re running.
- Proper Athletic Wear – Be sure to have some clothes dedicated just to running. Good technical fabrics and supportive running bras are imperative. Not only will you be more comfortable, it will signal to your body that it’s time to get moving!
- Register for a 5K Event – If you know that you have a challenge on your calendar, you will be more likely to follow through on your training program. Encourage friends to join you. Running loves company.
- Plan Your Training - There are many widely accepted training plans available online. Choose one that fits your schedule. Start early enough so you have time to comfortably train. Pushing too hard or adding distance too quickly will only lead to frustration and possibly injury.
- GO FOR IT!! - Go and find out what the buzz is all about. Stick with it and love you your body for taking you on your journey. Enjoy the glory of finishing your first 5K!